Sunday 12 June 2011

Intelligent Life

I bought a copy of Intelligent Life magazine last week on a train ride to Birmingham for a work meeting - the type of high brow stuff that I would never usually bother wasting money on - and found myself LOVING it, as in every single article.

Literature, art, dance, travel, wine (to some extent), global issues, multi culturalism...while I've always had a general interest in such things, it dawned on me in reading the articles that these are things that I'm not only genuinely interested in, but which are the types of things that colour my enjoyment and experience of life.

Whats more, I realised, gulp, that I probably fall into a '30s something' readership - which the editors intentionally aimed at. And I found myself somehow comforted that (despite my strong sense of independence), I do perhaps 'belong' to some demographic group of society, with tastes and interests that the editors know how to feed and fulfill through their cleverly selected topics and discussions.

I've always been one to forge my own path, with the will to be unique in such things as career path, spirituality, literature, selection of girlfriends, etcetera. Combine this with a usually short attention span when it comes to article ridden lifestyle magazines, and perhaps you will understand why I was so surprised - in a good way, to find a magazine which highly appeals to my interests in EVERY single article.

Hmmm, maybe I do have a more 'normal' or at least 'fitting' role in this society than I had previously thought.

No comments: